Shatavari, also known as wild asparagus, is an Ayurvedic herb used for centuries for many issues, including as a reproductive tonic for both men and women, as a digestive soother, and an herb that helps one adapt and cope with stress. It is rich in antioxidants and helps to promote healthy energy levels and strength. It helps increase the vital fluids in the body.
For men, Shatavari helps with the following:
- Rejuvenating tonic for the male reproductive system.
- Increases reproductive fluids
- Supports and increases healthy sperm count
- Helps reduce male sexual problems
- Reduces inflammation of the male sexual organs
- Helps correct impotence
Shatavari is also an excellent reproductive tonic for women as well, and is an effective herb for increasing breastmilk production.
Other traditional uses for Shatavari include:
- Helps to promote all vital fluids in the body (including semen and sperm)
- Nourishes and calms the nerves
- Nourishes the brain and helps support the brain and body to regain balance
- Restores moisture to the digestive tract, helping to soothe the digestive system
- Restores moisture to the lungs and respiratory tract, making it helpful for dry, spasmodic cough and/or bronchitis-type situations.
NOTES: As Shatavari is of the asparagus family, do not use by those with asparagus allergies or sensitivities. Further, asparagus (including Shatavari) may have some diuretic effects, so those on diuretic medications should avoid this herb. Due to its ability to increase moisture to the digestive tract, it may cause loose stool in some. To the opposite effect, it may also help to alleviate constipation in others. Shatavari should not be used by those with celiac disease or other malabsorption issues.
For those interested in the Ayurvedic information, Shatavari….
- Balances: Pitta and Vata
- Increases: Kapha
- Taste: bitter, sweet
- Energy: cooling
- Quality: unctuous, heavy
Written by Pam Caldwell, Certified Herbalist; Pregnancy, Birth, Postpartum & Lactation Specialist
with help from Shakti Smith, Certified Ayurvedic Practitioner. Please see her information about Ayurveda and her contact info HERE.